Friday, May 24, 2013

"Dresden Plate" Tie Quilt Wall Hanging

These are three "dresden plate" pattern quilted tie wall hanging I made for a friend.  I think this is a nice tribute to a father don't you think?

Instead of buying an acrylic dresden plate template - I just made one out of card stock and used a chalk pencil to mark my cut lines.  There are several great tutorials out there that give directions on how to cut dresden patterns from ties.  The one I found most helpful is: http://www.ludlowquiltandsew.co.uk/free-quilt-and-sew-patterns/free-quilt-patterns/silk-necktie-quilt-pattern/.  It gives you the gist of how to cut the pattern from a tie.  As you can see - I made my own quilt design.  I kept it simple, and added a yo - yo rosette in the center.
 

 
I used these instructions to learn how to make yo - yo's...and then just put my own spin on it for this wall hanging. http://www2.fiskars.com/Sewing-Quilting/Projects/For-the-Home/Pillows/Yo-Yo-Pillow
 
 
Have fun! What a nice gift to give to a dad on Father's Day or to make as a memoriam for a father who has passed.
 


No comments: